1935

The tiny village of Mount Prospect had a population of 1,000. St. Paul Lutheran was the only Protestant church, but services were held only in German.

1937

February 7: The South Church was formed. Services were originally held at what is now the Mount Prospect Country Club and the V.F.W. Hall during golf season.

August 1: Edwin I. Stevens was called to be the first pastor of The South Church.

September 20: Ground was broken for our church building.

Standing Room Only!
“The first service at The South Church was almost standing room only. That's because the pews nearly didn't arrive in time.

December 18: The pews arrived at 6 p.m. on Saturday. Furniture workmen assembled the pews throughout the night. At dawn, Pastor Steve called members to help sweep the shavings and sawdust. He went home to clean up for the service and when he returned, Mrs. Dorothy Durland was still on her hands and knees scrubbing the floor.

With an unfinished basement, uninstalled draperies and the smell of fresh paint still in the air, parishioners sat on brand new pews for their first service.” …from The South Church Archives.

December 19: The first service took place.

December 19: The first building of our 3-building structure was completed. It houses the sanctuary. The total cost was $18,000. Construction was completed in three months.

1948

Membership had increased to 335, outgrowing the original building.

1950

The second building that housed the chapel, pastor’s study and classrooms was completed.

1955 – 1957

Membership reached 650, causing the need for two worship services and three church sessions.

1958

The third building, the education building, was added to our South Church structure. – The positions of Director of Christian Education and Associate Pastor were added to the growing congregation.

1972

From the 1960's to 1972, membership reached an all-time high of 1,000 congregants. – Pastor Stevens retired.

1974

Pastor John H Clements became the 2nd Pastor of the South Church. He served the congregation until his retirement in 1990.

1987

The South Church celebrated its 50th Anniversary.

1990

The South Church welcomed Pastor Jack Skiles from Indiana as its 3rd pastor, Pastor Skiles served the Church for 16 years before moving back to his home state of Indiana.

1993

The South Church Memorial Garden, made possible by the Greenhalgh family, was completed. Ashes of deceased loved ones reside here on church grounds.

1994

The beautiful lighted, stained glass altar window, a gift of Jack D. and Geraldine Hughes, was installed.

1995 – 2006

It took an additional 12 years to complete installation of the many stained glass sanctuary, chapel and narthex windows. Each window a gift of families who dedicated each to loved ones associated with The South Church.

2008

The South Church welcomed Pastor Rick Kesler from Ohio as its newest Pastor. Pastor Rick continues to serve the Church today.

2012

The South Church celebrated its 75th Anniversary.

2013

The South Church ordained Sandy Kolar as an American Baptist minister.

2017

The South Church made a major financial decision to sell the church building. The investments of the proceeds created an opportunity to continue our community of faith and to enhance our contributions to local, national & international communities.

2020

The South Church began holding services via Zoom which enabled us to expand our outreach across the nation.

2022

The South Church continues to serve through our weekly service & the South Church Cares committee work.